Wednesday, October 14, 2020

The Almost Marriage

The Almost Marriage


“Broken engagement”.  I hated that term.  “There is nothing ‘broken’ about me,” I would scowl to myself as I reflected upon the realization that, in fact, after ending my engagement I felt more whole.  


The engagement had been tumultuous to say the least.  Mostly, I felt confused.  Isn’t this what I wanted?  Hadn’t I already committed myself to the relationship by moving cross-country for him?  I recall throwing my engagement ring across the room screaming that I didn’t want to be someone’s wife, as if by being married I would forever be playing second fiddle. Gone were the cozy feelings of a home that I desperately tried to create.  


Ending my engagement felt like a strange “in between a relationship breakup and a divorce.  There was no legal paperwork, no lawyers, no alimony.  But there was an entangled life together and a half-planned wedding. 


The “not wedding”?  Ex-fiance sounded harsh.  The almost husband. The almost mother-, father-, brother-, and sister-in-law.  The almost life.  My almost divorce.  

No comments: