Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cliffnotes

There are numerous blog topics in which I could continue writing about in lengthy discussions and descriptions of even minute things in Vietnam.  And it would take me weeks of non-stop writing and contemplating to have polished prose.  So now I list a random assortment.  Consider these the cliffnotes.

I toured a house available for rent two days ago.  I wondered how much it would cost to buy it.  

I need to buy shower shoes for my bathroom.  There are no shower stalls in Vietnam so you just shower yourself with a hose from the bathroom wall.  The problem is when I reenter my bathroom with dirty feet on a wet floor.  

Three days ago I was bitten by bedbugs.  Now when I say "Don't let the bedbugs bite!"  I will speak with experience.

Today I ate streetside bun cha, a lovely Hanoi speciality of juicy bits of pork in fish sauce eaten with rice noodles and fresh herbs.

I love driving my motorbike.  Even after today when I got pulled over for turning left on a red light.  Frankly I was surprised when the policeman blow his whistle.  People commonly drive through red lights with intent.  Unfortunately the policeman spoke English which ruled out my plan to speak English very quickly and shrug my shoulders and shake my head to avoid a ticket.  But thankfully he let me off with a "Be Careful".  I didn't even have to give him bribe money.

Pollution and Corruption are some of Vietnam's biggest urban problems.  

I sleep under mosquito netting.  

Since being in Vietnam, I have received four scarfs as gifts.

I am currently attempting to learn how to sing a Vietnamese pop song.  

In the future, I want to bring little peanut butter and jelly sandwiches to my students.  

Vietnam does not have ovens.

Last week I was almost pickpocketed.  I screamed and turned around when I felt someone unzip my backpack.  After reassuring my valuables remained I watched the teenage boy slowly scuffle past me on the sidewalk as if nothing had happened.  I walked 5 feet behind him for 100 meters before he turned the corner.  I was shocked by his audacity, wanted to properly scold him, and tell him to try being a little slicker next time.  Those european pickpockets would laugh in his face.



No comments: